Ornella Barra is chair of the Walgreens Boots Alliance Social Responsibility Committee. In this role, she oversees all corporate social responsibility activities across the Company and plays a pivotal role in building a strong platform for this agenda to thrive across Walgreens Boots Alliance. Walgreens Boots Alliance today is at the forefront of many of the most crucial issues of our time: from health promotion to the fight against climate change and the enhancement of diversity and inclusion.
More information on the Corporate Social Responsibility of Walgreens Boots Alliance.
Most important initiatives include:
- The Walgreens campaign in the U.S. for Red Nose Day for the fight against child poverty, which in 2018 made it possible to collect and donate $ 24 million to help disadvantaged children.
- The partnership of Boots UK with Macmillan Cancer Support in the United Kingdom, aimed at helping people with cancer and their families, through accessible and up-to-date information on the disease and concrete support offered in their local communities.
- The Group's pan-European partnership with the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC), started in 2011 and renewed in September 2018 for another five years, to support scientific research and develop new methodologies in the fight against cancer.
- Walgreens 'Get a Shot Give a Shot' initiative, which has so far enabled donation of 34 million life-saving vaccines to disadvantaged children worldwide, by making a donation to the United Nation Foundation for each vaccine administered at Walgreens pharmacies. In October 2016, the United Nations Foundation awarded its Global Leadership Award to Walgreens Boots Alliance for its commitment to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs); as the Chairman of the WBA’s CSR Committee, Ornella Barra received the award on behalf of the Company.
- Walgreens' partnership with Vitamin Angels, to bring essential vitamins and minerals to millions of children and pregnant women from at-risk populations in more than 60 countries.
Making a positive and lasting difference to the wellbeing of the communities we serve
Business in the Community (BITC)
In September 2014, Ornella was appointed as the first International Ambassador for Business in the Community (BITC), having been a member of the BITC International leadership team for some years. The leadership team is committed to investing in young people, guaranteeing access to the workplace for the most vulnerable and encouraging firms to recognise the importance of investing in the community.
WE is a worldwide development charity founded in 1995 that partners with communities to help lift young people out of poverty with programs in Canada, the U.S. and U.K. for service learning and active citizenship, and international development projects in Asia, Africa and Latin America focused on children and education.
Walgreens’ partnership with WE began in 2015 as a sponsor of WE Schools and WE Day. Since August 2016 the partnership has been extended to Boots UK that is now also working on WE Schools. In November 2016 Ornella Barra presented the Prince’s Youth Service Award at the WE Day Halifax in Canada.