Ornella Barra is chair of the Walgreens Boots Alliance Social Responsibility Committee. In this role, she oversees all corporate social responsibility activities across the Company and plays a pivotal role in building a strong platform for this agenda to thrive across Walgreens Boots Alliance. Walgreens Boots Alliance today is at the forefront of many of the most crucial issues of our time: from health promotion to the fight against climate change and the enhancement of diversity and inclusion.
More information on the Corporate Social Responsibility of Walgreens Boots Alliance.
Most important achievements include:
- Walgreens has funded over 50 million vaccines through the Get a Shot. Give a Shot. program and its six-year partnership with the United Nations Foundation, and committed to an additional 50 million vaccines. In October 2016, the United Nations Foundation awarded its Global Leadership Award to Walgreens Boots Alliance for its commitment to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs); as the Chairman of the WBA’s CSR Committee, Ornella Barra received the award on behalf of the Company.
- Boots UK won the Business in the Community Responsible Business of the Year 2019-20 for supporting people with cancer through a long-term partnership with Macmillan Cancer Support.
- WBA has a pan-European partnership with the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC), started in 2011 and renewed in September 2018 for another five years, to support scientific research and develop new methodologies in the fight against cancer.
- Walgreens has helped provide life-changing vitamins to more than 250 million children and women through a partnership with Vitamin Angels.
- Over £13.8 million has been raised for BBC Children in Need over a 16-year partnership with Boots UK and Boots Opticians, helping change the lives of disadvantaged children and young people.
Making a positive and lasting difference to the wellbeing of the communities we serve
Business in the Community (BITC)
In September 2014, Ornella was appointed as the first International Ambassador for Business in the Community (BITC), having been a member of the BITC International leadership team for some years. The leadership team is committed to investing in young people, guaranteeing access to the workplace for the most vulnerable and encouraging firms to recognise the importance of investing in the community.
WE is a worldwide development charity founded in 1995 that partners with communities to help lift young people out of poverty with programs in Canada, the U.S. and U.K. for service learning and active citizenship, and international development projects in Asia, Africa and Latin America focused on children and education.
Walgreens’ partnership with WE began in 2015 as a sponsor of WE Schools and WE Day. Since August 2016 the partnership has been extended to Boots UK that is now also working on WE Schools. In November 2016 Ornella Barra presented the Prince’s Youth Service Award at the WE Day Halifax in Canada.